The holidays are officially here. And so the season for giving begins. Warm loving intentions, thoughtful giving and stocking stuffing take over.
It's a wonderful time of year, but with all the activities, excitement and family obligations taking place at the same time, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, stressed and even a tad bit gloomy. Here are 9 simple steps to relax, let go and really enjoy a truly happy holiday!
1. Reflect on what an inspiration you are to others. The time you spend, the love you give and the enthusiasm with which you do it all with is what matters most to people close to you. The beautifully wrapped presents and bows are far less important than your loving friendship. You are appreciated and cherished in the lives of so many people. Love yourself with the same appreciation.
2. Be honest with yourself and don't stuff your feelings. As you start to feel range of emotions this holiday? whether it is joy or fear? frustration or liberation?Don't push them away like last season's Prada bag. Give them a special place. It will be far easier to enjoy the holiday if you are honest with yourself and experience all the good, bad and normal parts of life. Be as accepting and generous with yourself as you are with the people in your life you care about the most.
3. Show empathy and compassion. Our internal perception is reality. Whenever you show kind hearted compassion, you'll get it back in return.
4. Be grateful for all the wonderful differences, preferences and opinions that you will encounter this holiday. Try to view life from a different perspective. Talk about differences that may come up in a loving way and make a special effort to sit on the same side of the table (literally and figuratively). See if you can find it in your heart to love and appreciate Uncle Joe's crazy quirk that normally sends you through the roof. The joy and peacefulness of understanding another's perspective while still honoring your own is a feeling to be savored!
5. Get plenty of sleep and squeeze in a few extra minutes to rest and relax. Sleep may seem like an indulgence this time of year, but it is absolutely essential to good health and a positive holiday outlook. Rest, slow-down and catch plenty of zzz's. Be decadent and treat yourself to 3 -5 minutes a day without any books, junk mail or return calls. Take time to breathe, relax, reflect and introspect. If you're feeling really sassy lie on your back and spread out in the middle of the living floor. Is 3 minutes of your day just for one month too much to ask?
6. Try letting go and see what marvels happen! Let go of one small thing that's really been getting to you. Ask yourself what is the worst that can happen? Just for kicks, reflect back on a particularly stressful holiday situation last year. How bad was it really? Did worry consume you for nothing? I'm guessing that the turnout wasn't as bad as all the images swimming in your head. And, there may have even been a hidden blessing after all. In the scheme of things, our daily worries are trivial. Try to let them go? and go with the flow!
7. Find opportunities throughout the day to bond and make a human connection. Make a conscious and loving effort to be attentive and live in the present moment. A sure fire quick way to work yourself up is to let your mind run a million miles an hour of things you could, should or would be doing. These random relentless thoughts will just make you anxious and nervous. Take the time to look into peoples' eyes; listen carefully to what they have to say and pass them a compliment about something you know is important to them. That goes for strangers too! You will enjoy your time together that much more? and so will they.
8. Change up the scenery. Rather than going through your same daily routine, shake it up a bit! Close your eyes at night before you drift off and sleepily anticipate a self indulgent wild and crazy day. Roll out of bed on the opposite side. Light a scented candle in the bathroom and watch the flame flicker in the morning light. Crank up your favorite piece of inspiring music before you do anything else in the morning. Walk backward through the house. Try tea instead of coffee. Call an old friend you haven't talked to in ages. Talk to strangers! Take the scenic route home. Wave to the stressed out folks who cut you off on the freeway. What else can you think of that could change up your scenery and shake some smiles out of you?
9. Treat yourself as you would treat others. Write yourself a love note. Buy yourself fresh stems of flowers. Soak your feet. Valet park the car. Have your groceries delivered. Send your undies to the cleaners. Snuggle with a blankie. Take a long walk. Sleep in. Watch the sunset. Sing yourself a love song. Do all the things for yourself you wish others would do for you!
Enjoy the most fabulous holiday season of all times!
Julie Hunt is a female icon and founder of SHE, the foremost inspiration and personal development resource for women who want to live brilliant, happy, successful lives. Marketing consultant, sales expert, copywriting guru, improvisational actress, yoga instructor, author and just plain cool chick? she's an inspiration to hundreds of women.
She is on a mission to scream, skip, advise and acquaint with women around the globe who want live a vivacious life busting at the seams!
RELATED ARTICLESDont Forget Grandmom - Shes an Earth Angel Too!
Have you ever thought what you would do without your Grandmom ? She's the one that always stands beside us and gives us the cookies on the side? She fills in when Mom can't. She's the one that will spoil us rotten given half a chance.
The History of Teddy Bears
Teddy bears have been around since 1902. The teddy bear came to being when President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shot a black bear held captive by his hunting party.
10 Tips for More Meaningful Holidays
No matter how many lists you make, cards you send, gifts you buy, or packages you wrap, there will be things you intended to do this holiday season that won't get done. If you do manage to get everything done, but you're too tired to enjoy the season, everyone suffers.
Dress To Impress! Find Your Sexy Halloween Costume And Shake What Your Mamma Gave You
Everyone loves to look and feel good, right? Well, why don't you shake what your mamma gave you, and find a sexy Halloween costume that will knock the socks off of everybody!Halloween is all about letting loose and having fun, so let your wild side show this year! Go ahead and buy that Playboy bunny costume, or that tight Spiderman bodysuit! The possibilities are endless?and they're all here for you to explore!When you hear the word "sexy" you may feel a little uneasy, but you owe it to yourself to go out there and have fun with it! On All Hallows Eve, you can flirt with anyone and get away with it!Ladies, whether you choose to be a nurse, a French maid, a cowgirl, or a cheerleader, you'll pour on the charm and make the guys putty in your hands! And guys, which woman doesn't love a rugged pirate, a fireman, a doctor, or a policeman? You'll have ladies lining up waiting to meet you!Find countless sexy Halloween costumes and accessories on fantastic costume websites!Men and women will find a large variety of hot accessories like sexy shoes and dresses, fishnet stockings, chaps, lingerie costumes, wigs, togas, makeup, corsets, and boas, to name a few. The ease of conveniently finding everything online for your sexy costume will have you coming back for more!Enjoy yourself this Halloween; get into character and show everyone your hot and sexy side! Girls, practice walking around in those stilettos, and guys, get used to those tight pants because you've got a fun and exciting night ahead of you! Adults deserve to have fun on Halloween too, and what better way to do it then finding your perfect costume for one of the most exciting nights of the year!About the author: Maria is the the author of "1st In Halloween Costumes" available at http://www.
Samanthas Bay Leaf Ritual for the New Year
HI would like to share with you a ritual I do every New Year's that is quite involved and requires a lot of thought and meditation time. It is derived from an ancient Greek ritual for prosperity and fertility.
Online UK Florist Saves the Day
Here it is Thursday afternoon, and Evelyn sees no break in her hectic schedule for the weekend. She has a presentation due on Monday morning and a meeting on Saturday most of the day with her team.
Halloween Costumes...for Pets!
One of the best things about Halloween, is wearing a costume. If you have animals at home, why not consider a Halloween costume for pets? A Halloween costume for pets is usually made for an animal of the canine kind.
Strategies for Surviving Holiday Dinners, Family Events and Other War Zones
No matter how well we may have weathered our basic training, nothing can fully prepare us for the front lines of family gatherings. We're in the thick of it, dodging live ammunition, and fighting the urge to return to our old, reliable patterns that helped us to survive while we were growing up.
Orlando, The Vacation Station
If you were asked to name 10 reasons why you vacationed in a certain place, you would probably start slowing down as you reach 5 or 6. But with Florida the list goes on and on.
For Thanksgiving - Be Thankful He's Not the Cheating Kind
Infidelity is at an all time high. According to the latest statistics, 3 out of 4 husbands cheat on their wives.
A Mothers Day Prayer! Mamma Whispered Softly!
Patty Lovelace Country MusicVerse #1Through the back window of a 59 wagonI watched my best friend Jannie slippin awayI kept on waving, til I couldn't see herAnd through my tears I asked again Why we couldn't stayChorusMamma whispered softly, time will ease your painLife's about changing nothing stays the sameAnd she said, how can I help you say goodbye?It's ok to hurt and it's ok to cryCome let me hold you and I will tryHow can I help you say goodbye?Verse #2I sit on our bed, he packed his suitcaseI held a picture of our wedding dayHis hands were trembling, we both were cryingHe kissed me gently and he quickly walked awayChorusI called up mamma she said time will ease yourpainLife's about changing nothing stays the sameShe said, how can I help you say goodbye?It's ok to hurt its ok to cryCome let me hold you and I will tryHow can I help you say good-bye?Verse #3Sittin with Mamma alone in her bedroomShe opened her eyes and then squeezed my handShe said, I have to go now, my time is over And with her final words she tried to help meunderstandChorusMamma whispered softly, time will ease your painLife's about changing nothing stays the sameAnd she said, how can I help you say goodbye? It's ok to hurt; it's ok to cryCome let me hold you and I will tryHow can I help you say goodbye?Today we are recognizing Mother's Day. Let usremind ourselves that nothing can be morestrengthening than a mother's love for herchild.
10 Great Gift Ideas for Fathers Day
What do you get for the man who has always been there for you? You want it to be something special, something he hasn't gotten before, something that he will cherish. It cannot be the tired old gift of after shave lotion or soap on a rope.
Aran... Where the Sweaters Come From
Aran Sweaters.The Aran sweater takes its name from the islands from where it originated, untold generations ago.
Wolves, Goats, Martyrs and War: a History of Valentines Day
Valentines Day is one of the most enigmatic of holidays, having appeared in many forms. But all "Valentine's Days" have drawn suspicion.
How to Put Some Sizzle in Your Summer Parties: 5 Ways to be a Gracious Host and a Great Guest
Now that the hot weather is finally here, we are looking forward to long, lazy days on the beach and hot summer nights that heat up after dark. Here are a few tips from lifestyle guru Kim Kristofferson-Magnusson on maximizing your fun in the sun!1) For family celebrations?KEEP IT SIMPLE!!Whether you're hosting a graduation party for 20 or a family reunion for 200, remember that it's your day to have fun too! To make the most of your time visiting with family and friends, take a vacation from your oven and corral your "grillmaster" of choice out on the patio.
Throwing an Anniversary Party to be Remembered
Anniversary parties are a wonderful way to celebrate two people who have been together for a number of years. The most common anniversary parties are for 25 years and 50 years.
SALOME and HERODIAS, A Curious Mothers Day Story, Part 2 of 2 Parts
First, a disclaimer:This article requires information about John the Baptist, whose life and works and words are holy, divinely inspired, to Christians. The sources I've accessed are religious, historical, literary, exegetic, and anecdotal.
Corporate Holiday Gift Ideas Start With a Possibilities List
Plan ahead this year for your corporate clients and associates holiday gifts.Now is the time to prepare for this year's corporate holiday gift ideas.
The Origins of Mothers Day
Most people mistakenly believe that Mother's Day is an invention of the greeting card manufacturers and flower shops - a cynical ploy to make the nation spend millions of dollars each year on greetings cards and flowers. However, the roots of the holiday are more elevated than this and go back much further, right back to the times of the ancient Greeks and Romans.
Tis The Season
I was listening to one of my favorite radio talk programs today. The topic of the hour was "do you feel burdened by Christmas?" Much to my amazement the host, and the majority of his guests, spent the better part of an hour whining and moaning about the burdensome nature of the holiday season.