Choosing who should walk down the aisle with you is not as easy at it has been in the past. In the past, it has always been assumed that the father of the bride is to be the one. These days, between family tensions, having divorced parents and just wanting to be independent has changed this tradition. Some brides still choose the traditional route with a twist. Here are 8 ideas from brides and brides-to-be who have considered this:
1. Some brides choose to have their father walk them down the aisle only halfway and then walk the other half by themselves. This symbolizes the bride's transfer from dependence to independence and that she has a new life of her own. This is pretty safe since it still involves the father of the bride.
2. Some have their mother and father both walk them down the aisle. For some brides, this is a way to include her mother in the process while still holding on to tradition. While this may be also seen as an attempt to go against a "male dominated society", it still should be accepted by most if you are worried about it.
3. Another thing that is becoming more popular is the groom meeting the bride halfway. It's not only cute, it symbolizes the strong union between them. Again, it may seem improper to some strict traditionalists, but who's paying for the wedding?
4. Some brides choose to have only their mothers walk them down the aisle. Some brides and their mothers are so close that tradition is a non-issue. They just want to honor their mothers for their love and hard work.
5. Walking down the aisle by oneself is relatively new and you have to be careful. It is not so much the break with tradition that may cause trouble as it is the bundle of nerves you may feel when walking down the aisle alone. A test run may help you, but it is not the same as the real thing! Everybody is "ahhing" you, your fiancé is looking at you as if he is seeing an angel from heaven and you are excited on top of all that. If you are not the shy type and still want to take a go at it, plan your wedding early so that you are not stressed out. And try not to think about what could go wrong!
6. Some brides may split it up between two escorts. For example, you could have your uncle walk you down partly and then have your father walk you down the rest of the way. This way everyone gets his turn to shine.
7. Walking together with you fiancé is not something out of the question. It is the ultimate demonstration of partnership, commitment and independence. If you are one of the brides who are aiming to break with tradition this could be a good route.
8. A bride who does not have her father with her anymore may still want someone who is like a father to her to escort her down the aisle. She may choose her uncle, brother, godfather or even a close friend of her father to "represent" him. In this case it is good idea to get your escort's approval way in advance and talk to friends and family about how they feel to gauge how this may look if you are afraid of offending anyone.
Above all, it is your day. I know you might be afraid of offending someone, but it is your day and most of the time your friends and family are not that "strict". Even if someone else is footing the bill, it's you who will have the most vivid memories of your day and it's you who will have to live with it.
RELATED ARTICLES8 Questions Brides Ask About Setting up a Wedding Registry
In theory, setting up a registry is simple. You decide on one or several stores, create a registry online or in person, select various items, and get the word out to your guests.
Wedding Photography: Preserving the Memories
A person's wedding can be one of the most important times in their life. They will have memories that they want to treasure forever and then pass on to their children.
Is Eloping For You?
Believe it or not, there is etiquette on how to elope, and how to handle all the important people in your life who may feel spurned by your not including them. In addition, there are also some important questions you need to ask yourself before you run off and get hitched without including those most important to you.
Bachelorette Parties: Fun Alternatives to a Wild Night
If bar-hopping and male strippers aren't the bride's idea of a fun time, perhaps you should reconsider her bachelorette party festivities. (I know, I know.
Choosing a Wedding Reception and Banquet Facility
It's time to look for a banquet facility. Most clients end up deciding on a particular banquet facility for two specific reasons - they like how they were treated by the banquet sales staff and they fall in love with the facility when they walk through the doors.
Create Unique Wedding Invitations That Only Look Expensive
Save a substantial amount of money on invitations, without sacrificing quality, by making them yourself using your computer. It's easy and fun to create distinctive invitations, at a price you can afford, by layering fine printable paper over a heavyweight card and fastening them together with a unique embellishment.
Selecting Your Wedding Centerpieces
Wedding centerpieces help tie together the look of your entire table setting. The wedding centerpieces will affect the linens you choose, the size of the tables and even the number of guests you seat on each table.
Your Bridal Shoes: No Need to Sacrifice Style for Comfort
Think your bridal gown is the most important garment you'll need for your wedding? Think again! Your shoes could make or break your day. When your feet hurt, it shows on your face, and you only want smiles on your wedding day.
Want To Know More About Wedding Planners?
Today, Norm Goldman, Editor of Sketchandtravel and Bookpleasures is pleased to have as a guest Judy Allen. Judy is the author of Your Stress Free Wedding Planner (Sourcebooks, Inc.
3 Emerging Trends In Custom Invitations
There is an overwhelming demand for high quality, custom stationery that really reflects the bridal couple's style, personality, and wedding. It doesn't stop at the wedding invitation set anymore! It seems every modern bridal couple is opting to have their entire stationery ensemble done by a custom invitation house.
Exotic Island Wedding! Where Dreams Truly Come True in Paradise
As a travel professional considering an exotic island wedding was a logical choice, but having to convince a strong Catholic family was the challenge I faced! I was never a traditionalist in the sense, and I have attended so many conventional weddings with a church ceremony and post-reception in the past, I wanted to do something different and special for the most important day of my life!Island weddings have been around for quiet some time, but in my opinion, they seemed to be perceived more for renewal of vows and second marriages, however, as our lifestyles change, we separated ourselves from tradition, and an exotic wedding on a spectacular island seemed like a dream in paradise for me.I met the love of my life a few years ago in travel school, and as our love for each other became apparent my only thought was, what if she doesn't want to have an island wedding? Knowing that her family is Catholic, and tradition is very important to them, I thought to myself, was my ambition of having a romantic wedding on an island not going to be a reality?Even though I expected the worst-case scenario, the family was very understanding and accepted both our wishes with open arms, so the rest was history! The planning for our special event had begun, and with some consideration we both agreed on having our anticipated wedding on the exotic destination island of Cuba.
Wedding Reception Perfection: Tips and Suggestions
Over the past years I have performed at many, many wedding receptions. From my experiences I've come up with some keys to help insure a smooth, enjoyable and trouble-free day. I'd like to share them with you.
How to Find the Right Bridesmaid Dresses for Your Wedding
The kind of bridesmaid dresses your bridal attendants should should wear depends on the type of wedding you end up having.What's your wedding theme?Do you have a particular theme in mind? For instance, if you had a nautical theme for your wedding as a whole, you might want to have special sailor-style dresses for your bridesmaids.
Save Money on Your Wedding Dress
Your wedding is quite possibly the most important day of your life and you've probably been dreaming about it since you were about 12 years old. The dress you choose is ultimately going to be what people look at and remember about your wedding.
Flower Girl Flowers
There are many options available to adorn your flower girl with flowers! Here are some creative ideas to consider for the flower girl in your wedding party.A popular idea is to have your flower girl carry a decorative basket with rose petals.
Exciting Costa Rica Honeymoon Vacations
Couples experiencing their first Costa Rica honeymoon vacations are never dismayed. This scenic Central American nation is rich in nature and wildlife, with pristine oceanic coasts on two of its borders.
Bridal Shop Owner Reveals Insider Secrets Every Bride Should Know
Your wedding is nine months away and you decide to start searching for your perfect gown. You walk into a bridal store and start talking to one of the salespeople.
Should You Wear White?
White is traditionally a symbol of purity and as it was, traditionally, every mans wish to marry a pure woman to be married in white was a sign that you were indeed pure and a "good catch".However in todays social climate that is no longer the case.
How to Have a Sizzler of a Honeymoon. Article No.2
Ah! It's the wedding night. You've cut the cake, drank the toast, danced the dance, and now, at last you are completely alone.
Wedding Dresses - Why They Are White and Other Wedding Lore
Brides have always worn white, right? Not so. In ancient times brides wore bright colored wedding dresses to signify their joy.