Starting and Growing Your Business

yolandal

Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
I was wondering if we can get a thread started that covers what others have found successful with starting and growing their business. I am currently pondering the following things
Business Name
Supply Vendors
How to use Social Media
Websites creation
Business License
Where to purchase designs

I am sure I will have hundreds of questions as I re-embark on this venture. I have been searching youtube, the internet, and facebook for other candy wrap sites and am not finding much. I found some on etsy and ebay, and was wondering why this business is not more visible. Am I missing something? It has been over 10 years since I have done this, and am wondering if this still is as viable a business opportunity as it once was.

Looking forward to everyone's input, suggestions, and observations.
YaYa

wishfulthinker

Roxy
Staff member
Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
Elite Member
You really need to start by researching for product/prices that you think you might like to sell. Its normally cheapest to go to manufacturers direct although I would think that the majority of them would want a minimum purchase. You could also go to your local outlet and buy one (or two) of each product you might be able to wrap. Use facebook as a starting point, to see if there is any interest in what you have wrapped and maybe go with the most popular. Sorry, I can't help with how the market is over there but maybe someone else can. Think of a catchy name, check out regulations on selling with tax department - maybe they allow a certain amount before you have to register as a business???
Hope this helps to start with

roberta

Staff member
Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
Elite Member
It's so hard on many things, because a lot has to do with the area you live in. Because what works in one area, a lot of times doesn't work in another area.

One of the first things is to sort out what you want to sell (i.e. soe's, minis, etc). You of course can always change that around at times, but it gives you a base to start with. Once you decide on what you are going to sell when starting out, sometimes it then becomes easier to choose a name. Strange, but I've seen that happen several times for folks.

Various places don't require a business license or resale certificate depending on what you are selling. But definitely check out the requirements in your area because you don't want to miss something that you need.

Be sure to check out the wrapping policies that might help you out....

For social media, I'm a terrible help on that because I don't seem to be able to get it going for me to work. I do have pages for a couple of my Etsy stores (I have 4) and I do post on them (as well as my main personal page) when I add new things. But it just doesn't seem to help with sales so I'm doing something wrong when it comes to social media LOL. Hopefully someone will come along that can help us both!

As Roxy mentioned, research is a great thing to do. Don't just fall for the first thing that looks priced well or looks good; check around.

wishfulthinker

Roxy
Staff member
Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
Elite Member
It's so hard on many things, because a lot has to do with the area you live in. Because what works in one area, a lot of times doesn't work in another area.

One of the first things is to sort out what you want to sell (i.e. soe's, minis, etc). You of course can always change that around at times, but it gives you a base to start with. Once you decide on what you are going to sell when starting out, sometimes it then becomes easier to choose a name. Strange, but I've seen that happen several times for folks.

Various places don't require a business license or resale certificate depending on what you are selling. But definitely check out the requirements in your area because you don't want to miss something that you need.

Be sure to check out the wrapping policies that might help you out....

For social media, I'm a terrible help on that because I don't seem to be able to get it going for me to work. I do have pages for a couple of my Etsy stores (I have 4) and I do post on them (as well as my main personal page) when I add new things. But it just doesn't seem to help with sales so I'm doing something wrong when it comes to social media LOL. Hopefully someone will come along that can help us both!

As Roxy mentioned, research is a great thing to do. Don't just fall for the first thing that looks priced well or looks good; check around.
You and me both on social media Bobbi. Mind you I refuse to pay facebook to promote my items so maybe thats where I am going wrong. I do ask people to share but the way it is set up I am not even sure if everyone gets posted items! Not tried to sell on etsy but used to do quite well on ebay but they seem to have become so expensive now that paypal have ditched them that maybe I should try etsy and pinterest. I also have a website but even though I pay monthly for that I get very little return. All of these are things that you need to check out before spending loads of money. So I too will be interested to hear what other people say about social media. Maybe it works better for the youngsters cos they grew up with it. I just about manage, lol.

OP
Y

yolandal

Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
Good Afternoon Wrappers
I need your opinions and advice on my business name. I wanna be called YaYa (thats what my granddaughter calls me). Starting out, I want to offer:
  • DIY candy wrappers--Personalized with the foil, glue stick and instructions. The consumer will provide the chocolate. (I will do wrappers for SOE, Mini, Snack, and Lollipops)
  • Gift Cans/Baskets--Personalized with wrapped candy and trinkets.
So what do you think about:

YaYa's Stuff 'n Thangs
"Pizazzy Printables and Gift Cans"

YaYa's Pizazzily Thingamabobs
"Party Printables and Gifts"

Yaya's Pizazzliers "Party and Gift Thingamabobs"

So which one do you like? Can you suggest improvements?
Thanks So Much in Advance.

On another note: I meant for this thread to be a sounding board to help each other work through ideas and challenges. My thought was that by sharing experiences, someone searching for a solution would have a starting place that transcends places of origins. I do recognize what would work for one may not work for someone else, but the sharing is what's most important and most fun! Kinda like sharing and snagging wrappers and templates.

OP
Y

yolandal

Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
You and me both on social media Bobbi. Mind you I refuse to pay facebook to promote my items so maybe thats where I am going wrong. I do ask people to share but the way it is set up I am not even sure if everyone gets posted items! Not tried to sell on etsy but used to do quite well on ebay but they seem to have become so expensive now that paypal have ditched them that maybe I should try etsy and pinterest. I also have a website but even though I pay monthly for that I get very little return. All of these are things that you need to check out before spending loads of money. So I too will be interested to hear what other people say about social media. Maybe it works better for the youngsters cos they grew up with it. I just about manage, lol.

Wow I didnt know you could sell on Pinterest.........Welp you learn something new every day. Thanks for that tidbit of info. Could prove very helpful

OP
Y

yolandal

Lifetime Elite
Wrapcandy Pro
Have any of you heard of Udemy? It offers online courses.......Im looking into the Social Media Marketing Course. Just sharing a little something I came across.

Chat at Ya Later
YaYa